Arrival NotificationBoard MembersAGM December 2019
The land that currently comprises San Lameer was originally granted by the State to a Colonel GH Langeler in 1938, who developed the property as a private estate.
A keen naturalist, Colonel Langeler introduced various exotic and indigenous flora to ensure a careful balance of the ecology and he had created a haven of considerable beauty by the time of his death in the 1970's. His trust stipulated that any new owner should continue with his nature conservation drive.
Sanlam (one of South Africa's biggest Life Insurance companies) bought the land in 1974. In July 1977, San Lameer was proclaimed a private township in terms of the San Lameer Town Planning Scheme. Working on the results of several conservation studies, the Scheme stipulated that development on the property could take place on only 40% of the estate, and that 60% should be left in its natural state. A maximum density of 20 residential units per hectare was allowed.
In 1990, additional land was purchased to enable the introduction of the championship golf course and clubhouse, which were built according to strict conservation requirements.